Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Africa at last!

So, I made it to Morocco. I went through Barcelona, Valencia, Granada and Algeciras to get here. I'm in Tangier listening to the cacophony of city sounds drifting through the window of the internet cafe. It's already starting to push out the memories of Spain but let's see if I can remember the good stuff. Barcelona was amazing and beautiful, like most of the places I've been but I think it was hands down the hippest place to date. It's a city full of youngsters pushing the boundaries of acceptable fashion. Dred lock mullets, gypsy pants and piercings everywhere made for some really interesting looks which I've dubbed the "Catalonian-cyberpunk-hippy-pirate" look. Barcelona is also full of hidden plazas with random sculpture planted here and there. Throw in the works by Gaudi (Sagrada de Familia, Park Guell) and you have a model city. Valencia was also amazing. More amazing architecture, a beautiful park, a great hostel, new friends and delicious orange juice put Valencia high up on the list too. After that I hit Granada for two nights and had no regrets. Granada is home to the Alhambra which (I think) is an old fortress/palace that was developed over such a long period of time that you have a mixture of Muslim and Christian influences on the architecture. A must see for people who like to look at really cool stuff. But if you dont like to look at really cool stuff you can just wander the streets of Granada staring at your feet (which isnt a bad idea, lotsa doggy presents on the ground). Algeciras was just the place that I caught the ferry to Tangier, the fast ferry to Tangier. They need one like that to Bainbridge. I forgot my USB cable today so you'll have to wait again for more pics. Meanwhile Brice has been putting up lots of photos, I guess his memory card didnt break the same way his camera did when I blew it apart with a shotgun. Peaces.

7 Comments:

Blogger J R M said...

Hi, Peter,

Glad to hear you made it through Spain and to your next destination—Morocco. I made it back to Bar Aurora one more time and to at least two more mojito cocktails. At Marsella (another cool El Raval bar) I drank absinthe and pretended to be Hemingway, who, they say, used to go there (now my sabbatical in Barcelona is justified). I definitely agree with you, Barcelona is a very hip and beautiful place. I’ve loved it. (I’d also recommend Galicia and Santiago de Compostela. My friends and I had a great time on our three-day trip there. We drove out to the coast, as well, beyond Noia; it was spectacular. We saw Celtic ruins.) My two week “sabbatical” in old Barcelona ends today, unfortunately, so I head home to good old Boston—the region of your ancestors. (I wonder what kind of drinks they serve at The Old Manse?) (I have to keep this literary, remember?) Well, Peter, Emerson would be very proud of your self-reliance (I know I’m quite impressed!), but as Dorothy (and some of my best friends) would say, “There’s no place like home.” So after Morocco and maybe a few other far-flung African adventures, I hope your little boat comes to rest peacefully on the shores of (somewhat-hip) Bainbridge Island. It was nice meeting you in Barcelona. I’ve enjoyed reading some of your travel logs, too. (What’s up with the beard?) Maybe I’ll meet you sometime at the Bainbridge Gardens Café for a “gourmet” coffee or tea. I actual like that place. Safe travels! -Joe M.

1:57 AM  
Blogger grga the confused said...

hey pete,
time passes so fast, 3 weeks now since you were here. it was so good to see you again, i wish we could have spent more time together! hopefully see you on your way back?
you seem to have a great tour, i'm glad to read that you are having fun and that you arrived well in africa!
what are your plans now? be careful and always meet the right people.
gattsuri tanoshindeyo! mata ore no ie ni kitene. isshoni nomiteee (kanojo no mondai ga naottayo ;)
your grga the confused

4:17 PM  
Blogger grga the confused said...

hey peter!
still alive??? where are you anyway?
george

6:28 AM  
Blogger mym said...

peej-
I don't believe you are still in Africa...
here I am stuck in my traveling armchair and waiting to "where of your hereabouts."
blog blog blog
Love, mym

1:36 PM  
Blogger J R M said...

Hi, Peter...e-mail me if you can. I just returned from doing Katrina Relief in New Orleans for 8 days. Why no updates? Would love to hear from you.

Joe M. (from Barcelona/Milton, MA)

9:58 PM  
Blogger J R M said...

Hi, Peter...e-mail me if you can. I just returned from doing Katrina Relief in New Orleans for 8 days. Why no updates? Would love to hear from you.

Joe M. (from Barcelona/Milton, MA)

9:58 PM  
Blogger J R M said...

Hi, Peter...e-mail me if you can. I just returned from doing Katrina Relief in New Orleans for 8 days. Why no updates? Would love to hear from you.

Joe M. (from Barcelona/Milton, MA)

9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home